Michigan Urban Search and Rescue (MUSAR) Training Foundation
The Michigan Urban Search And Rescue Training Foundation has been providing technical rescue training since 1991. Our instructors come from the fire service and have real-life rescue experience. We have taught rescue programs throughout the United States, Canada, Mexico and abroad.
We have been training in the technical rescue field since 1991. Our trainers have trained thousands in these subjects and are recognized experts in their disciplines. The trainers are in many cases recognized experts that have traveled across the United States and in some cases beyond to train responders in technical rescue.
Who We Are
MUSAR TF is a non-profit 501 c(3) corporation that provides technical rescue programs approved by the Michigan Firefighters Training Council. Since 1999 we have had a strong partnership with the Operating Engineers Local 324 and their Education Center and, more recently have been working closely with Emergency Response Solutions International, another non-profit heavily involved in emergency response training.
What We Do
We offer Awareness, Operations and Technical level training in four Technical Rescue disciplines; Rope Rescue, Confined Space Rescue, Trench Rescue and Structural Collapse Rescue. Our programs meet or exceed NFPA 1670 and NFPA 1006 standards and Michigan EMS Continuing Education Credits may be available for our courses… Your department or agency will receive the highest quality training in the technical rescue arena from nationally recognized instructors.
Select the appropriate category for the training you would like.
|MUSAR Training Foundation
Fire Departmens | Tree Rescue
Michigan Urban Search and Rescue Training Foundation (MUSAR) Contact Information
45700 Port Street - Plymouth, MI 48170
|Rope Rescue||Dave VanHolstynfirstname.lastname@example.org||616-299-5772|
|Confined Space Rescue||Chris Smithemail@example.com||248-417-7695|
|Trench Rescue||Aaron Osburnfirstname.lastname@example.org||517-206-3597|
|Structural Collapse Rescue||Dave Potteremail@example.com||248-245-3491|
|General MUSAR Inquiries||John Cieslik, Board Presidentfirstname.lastname@example.org||248-379-8916|
Descriptions of the courses offered through the MUSAR Training Foundation.
|Confined Space Rescue - Awareness / Operations / Technician|
This 40-hour program meets the requirements set forth by OSHA 1910.146 and NFPA Standards 1670 and 1006 for members of an organization providing Technician Level confined space rescue, including the Awareness and Operations Level prerequisites. Additional prerequisites include:
|Confined Space Rescue Operations|
Confined Spaces KILL!
|Machine Rescue Awareness / Operations|
This 24-hour program provides instruction on the rescue of employees from conveyors, lift tables, gear drives, and other simple machinery, not including presses. Workshops include hands-on practice related to disassembly, cutting,and lifting/spreading. It addresses the capabilities listed in NFPA 1670 for a Operations Level Machine Rescue Team.
|Rope Rescue Awareness / Operations|
This 40-hour program exceeds the capabilities required in NFPA 1670 for an Operations level team.
|Rope Rescue Technician|
This 45-hour program is a combination of classroom and hands-on, practical activities specifically designed to address the needs of fire and rescue agencies which may be called upon to perform rope-based rescues that exceed the capabilities of an Operations Level trained organization. It is also intended to address the specific rope rescue related needs of an Urban Search & Rescue Task Force or Regional Technical Rescue Teams. The program addresses all the capabilities listed in NFPA 1670 for a Technician Level Rope Rescue Team.
|Structural Collapse Rescue Awareness/ Operations|
This 40 hour program meets the objectives of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1670 and 1006). The search workshop in this program was developed from Michigan-specific structural collapse incidents (tornado in Springfield Township, explosion in Flint, explosion in Wayne, tornado in Dundee, and tornado in Dexter). The building and wide area search methods and techniques taught in the MUSAR course have become the standard for collapse rescue teams throughout the state. These Michigan-specific procedures are not found in other state or FEMA collapse rescue training programs.
|Structural Collapse Technician|
This 60 hour program meets the objectives of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA 1670 and 1006). MUSAR Collapse Rescue training programs are being used in all of the state regions that have been mandated, by the Michigan Department of Homeland Security, to develop urban search and rescue capabilities. The use of MUSAR collapse programs provides standardized response capabilities throughout the three largest urban areas in our state. Those regions are Region One (Lansing area), Region Two (Detroit area) and Region Six (Grand Rapids area).
|Advanced Trench Rescue Shoring Symposium|
This 50-hour, advanced trench/excavation shoring, symposium consists of 15 hours of intense didactics and 35 hours of hands on training and destructive testing of shoring components and systems. This course is designed for trench rescue team decision makers and trench rescue instructors. NFPA Trench Technician certification is a prerequisite.
|Trench Rescue Awareness / Operations|
This 30-hour program meets and exceeds the knowledge, skills and abilities requirement of the NFPA 1006 standard.
|Trench Rescue Technician|
This 50-hour program meets and exceeds the knowledge, skills and abilities requirement of the NFPA 1006 standard.
2023 Schedule / Calendar
Classes offered through MUSAR TF have been designed to meet the requirements of NFPA 1670 as well as other requirements. Individuals, agencies and departments interested in advancing their abilities should consider registering for classes here.
Demand for classes has been high this year. As such, courses have filled up very fast. We have initiated a waitlist system for most courses and you are encouraged to use this option. This will allow us to gauge the level of interest in the courses and potentially place more dates on the calendar.Printable Course Schedule
- April 10-14, Rope Rescue Technician – Southfield - (Class FULL)
- May 1-4, Structural Collapse Operations – Howell - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- May 1-5, Rope Rescue Operations – Howell - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- May 23-25, Trench Rescue Awareness / Operations – Howell - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- June 5-9, Trench Rescue Technician – Howell - (Class FULL)
- June 13-16, Structural Collapse Operations – Howell - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- July 26-28 AND July 31-August 2, Structural Collapse Technician – Howell (broken into 2 parts) - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- September 18-22, Advanced Trench Rescue Shoring Symposium – Howell
- September 26-27, Paratech University – Howell (Registeration through Paratech)
- October 2-6, Rope Rescue Technician – Southfield - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
- October 16-20, Rope Rescue Operations – Howell - (Class FULL) / (Waitlist Available)
Prices / Payments / Cancellations
MUSAR course prices and policies related to payments and cancellations.
- Department or Agency – Invoiced upon completion of the training program.
- Personal Payment – Check or cash at time of training (checks made payable to MUSAR Training Foundation), Credit Card call Kathy Suchora at 734-392-5123 or email@example.com with the card number, expiration date, code on the back, and zip code.
- Rope Rescue Awareness/ Operations – 40 Hour Program @ $900 per student
- Rope Rescue Technician – 45 Hour Program @ $910 per student
- CSR Awareness/ Operations – 24 Hour Program @ $650 per student
- CSR Awareness / Operations / Technician – 40 Hour Program @ $910 per student
- Trench Rescue Awareness/ Operations – 30 Hour Program @ $700 per student
- Trench Rescue Technician – 50 Hour Program @ $1200 per student
- Trench Rescue Advanced Symposium – 50 Hour Program @ $1200 per student
- Structural Collapse Awareness / Operations – 40 Hour Program @ $1000 per student
- Structural Collapse Technician – 60 Hour Program @ $1900 per student
Registration and Payment:
After you have registered for a class, a QuickBooks invoice will be sent to your email, usually within seven (7) days. Your payment options are:
- Debit or Credit Card using the link in the QuickBooks invoice.
- Debit or Credit Card by contacting our office at (734) 392-5123. Have the card number, expiration date, CVC/CVV, and ZIP code available.
- Check made payable to MUSAR Training Foundation. Our mailing address is 45700 Port St. in Plymouth, MI 48170
If your payment is not received thirty (30) days in advance, you will be removed from the roster and placed on a waiting list. After your payment is received, if there is still an open spot, you will be re-enrolled in the program.Purchase Orders: If you’re using a purchase order, please contact our office via email, firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (734) 392-5123. Be sure you have read and understand the cancellation policy shown below.
Cancellations and Refunds:
- For a full refund you must cancel your registration not less than 30 days prior to the start of class. Cancellations should be done via email to email@example.com
- If you cancel between 30 to 15 days from the start of class, 20% of the total program fee will be retained for administrative services and the balance refunded to you.
- If you cancel less than 15 days from the beginning of the program you will not receive any refund, unless a replacement can be found. Contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone at (734) 392-5123.
- Failure to attend or cancel will resulting in loss of your tuition.
In the event MUSAR Training Foundation must cancel the class we will attempt to notify all registered students as soon as possible. You will receive a full refund but MUSAR assumes no liability for any expenses incurred. Forced cancellations due to local or regional natural disasters or terrorist attacks are a risk everybody takes. MUSAR assumes no liability for a particular program’s untimely cancellation or disruption due to these uncontrolled events.
Click the links below to view some articles and information about MUSAR training courses that have been mentioned in the press recently.
Trench Rescue Shoring Operations Guide - Contact Ron Zawlocki at email@example.com to place your order